Monday

The Avengers

Spoilers, Spoilers Everywhere!


Have no fear, mere mortals! I'm here to help you sort through The Avengers reviews and responses! This record breaking bit of AWESOME has most fanpeople reeling with joy. Indeed, Gakwer called it "The Perfect Comic Book Movie":

"This is a full-fledged, huge-hearted plunge into the pop-art world of comic-book euphoria. This is how you do this right. This is probably as good as it can be done." 


After all, it did break all kindsa records! 


"The Avengers" shot past the previous record of $169.2 million for the debut of last year's "Harry Potter" finale. With $441.5 million overseas since last week, "The Avengers" worldwide total climbed to $641.8 million." 

Though later in the Gawker review, the author says
"There's a little bit of Marvel movie continuity business that I'm not enough of a comic-book enthusiast to understand; there's a big reveal of some future villain that made the audience gasp, but I had no idea what I was supposed to be gasping about."

Ah, let me help you out with that!
That would be Thanos, and he's concerned with cosmically kicking ass and pimping out the Infinity Gauntlet.

Luckily, Joss loves him!

" He for me is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel villain. He’s the great grand daddy of the badasses and he’s in love with death and I just think that’s so cute. For me, the greatest Avengers was THE AVENGERS annual that Jim Starlin did followed by THE THING 2 in 1 that contained the death of Adam Warlock. Those were some of the most important texts and I think underrated milestones in Marvel history and Thanos is all over that, so somebody had to be in control and had to be behind Loki’s work and I was like “It’s got to be Thanos.” And they said “Okay” and I’m like “Oh my God!” 


Implications everywhere for the Marvel Universe:

"Based on everything we’ve seen it would appear that Thanos’ quest for the Infinity Gems would fit in nicely here, however all is not as it seems..."


And even though Sam Jackson was bitch slapping critics via Twitter,


"#Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let's help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!"


there were a few people who still weren't took happy with The Avengers. The Pentagon, for one,


“We couldn’t reconcile the unreality of this international organization and our place in it,” Phil Strub, the Defense Department’s Hollywood liaison, tells Danger Room. “To whom did S.H.I.E.L.D. answer? Did we work for S.H.I.E.L.D.? We hit that roadblock and decided we couldn’t do anything” with the film."


and some Bollywood stars who said that the scenes in India perpetuate a stereotype of westerners coming to rescue poor foreigners:


"Kolkata has a rich culture and heritage, and a filmmaker should respect that," Bollywood star Rituparna Sengupta, who lives in Kolkata, told the Hindustan Times. "There are two scenes about India, and they only show slums. It could have been done in better taste."

What's Fangirl World's word? This movie is fucking awesome. It's playful and funny, it's exciting and well paced, it's worth the watch. There will always be something to complain about. I'll chose Captain America's suit design (it just looked bulky to me!) and the fact that there are no references to Hank Pym or Wasp (correct me if I'm wrong, of course! I just wanted a little somethinsomethin!) It seems like an awfully hard task to combine all of these heroes, these egos and story lines into one movie, but it was handled nicely and with a lot of humor. See it before the second one comes out!

"Studio execs confirmed on Tuesday that the Marvel superhero film, which opened to a record-breaking $200 million in the US box office, will receive another installment."




No comments:

Post a Comment